I'm a superhero who burns people with cigarette butts. I only burn people who are already having a bad day so they can blame me for it, that's why I'm a hero. When I am done burning people I sit down and I cross my legs and I wink, sometimes I eat a cookie. When I stay home the world gets cranky. I have a nemesis. His name is Hank. Read all about me! Cigarette Burn Girl!

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

First Cigarettes: Part 2

Lisa was what some might call stubby. She had dark brown hair cut off too short, knees that jiggled, and bras that were too tight. Her shorts bunched up at the crotch and she had a brown mole in between her eyebrows. She liked to eat honey with a spoon. Her family was getting a divorce. Her older brothers were moving out and her sister was moving in with her Dad. She had friends who bored her. They made jokes about celebrities who weren't that famous. They liked to do lanyard.
One day Lisa was staring at the mirror in her locker. She saw Jessica Lime stop just behind her and she jumped. They hadn't spoken since elementary school. Lisa turned around. "Hey Lis," Jessica said. "I wouldn't spend too much time looking in that mirror if I were you." Lisa apologized. Jessica shoved her out of the way and re-applied her lip gloss in front of the mirror. "Anyway, we're all going to the rocks after school. You should meet up. Lates."
Lisa grabbed her make-up bag and ran to the ladies room. She missed sixth period. She twirled her frizzy hair with gel until it looked like a crunchy mess. She put on crooked eyeliner and the glitter from her eyeshadow fell onto her cheeks. She tried to slice off the mole between her two eyebrows with a nail scissors and blood ran down her nose. When school was over, she went to the rocks.
It was Jessica Lime, Brittney Koffing, Ellie Lazar, and Quinne Forbes. They were it. They had formed a pack in seventh grade and were hardly ever seen without each other since. Jessica was just lighting a cigarette. The smoke looked beautiful coming out of her perfectly round mouth. "Want one?"
"Um, sure," Lisa said. Ellie lit it for her and it felt like her first memory of her mother brushing her hair. She didn't cough. She even blew some of the smoke out of her nose and hid the fact that it burned a little.
"We're real glad you're here, Lis," Jessica said. "So glad," Brittney chimed in. "Because we've been wanting to do this for a long while. "What do you mean?" Lisa was getting excited. "We mean," Jessica said, "This."
And before she knew it Quinne was holding her arms back while Jessica pressed her cigarette directly into the circular brown mole that was still bleeding from earlier. She screamed, but only for a split second. The rest of them laughed, tossing their cigarette butts carelessly at her feet and hiking back up the rocks. "See ya, Lis."

No comments: